Hyperglycemia, commonly known as Diabetes is a group of metabolic disorders marked by high level of blood glucose which results from defects in insulin production. It is of two types – type I or Insulin Dependent Diabetes Mellitus (IDDM) and type II or Non-Insulin Dependent Diabetes (NIDDM). Type II diabetes is increasing more rapidly due to changes in lifestyle.
It in turn damages many of the body’s systems leading to many complications, which further exacerbate the diabetic condition and affect the quality of life as well. The increasing worldwide incidence of hyperglycemia constitutes a global public health burden.
What are the symptoms of Hyperglycemia?
- Unexplained weight loss
- Presence of ketones in the urine
- Blurred vision
- Tingling and numbness in the hands and feet
- Slow healing of wounds
- Recurring infections
Hyperglycemia according to Ayurveda:
Hyperglycemia is known as Madhumeha in Ayurveda. Madhumeha and its management are well-described in Ayurvedic literature. In Ayurvedic texts like Charak Samhita and Sushrut Samhita, it has been described as a disorder in which the patient passes urine frequently characterized as sweet and astringent.
What is the treatment of Hyperglycemia?
Insulin is the only treatment for type I diabetes and there are various drugs available for type II diabetes. The World Health Organization (WHO) has also recommended long back that the search for the products of natural origin should be encouraged, especially in those countries where the access to the conventional treatment of diabetes is not easily accessed.
Ayurveda has described number of plants, minerals or their formulations for the treatment of diabetes.
Ayurveda emphasizes on the avoidance of etiological factors as the main principle of the treatment.
Diabetic people are classified under two categories in Ayurveda which include:
- Sthula evam balwaan (obese and strong)
- Krisha (thin and weak)
The treatment of obese and strong patients having diabetes begins with bio-cleansing procedures whereas the treatment of the diabetic patients who are thin and weak comprises undergoing mild cleansing procedures followed by the treatment to nourish the body with specific rasayanas (santarpan chikitsa). Both these conditions are successfully managed with Ayurvedic treatment and diet regimen.
Yamuna Pharmacy is one of the leading Ayurvedic pharmacies serving worldwide. The products guarantee quality and efficiency. It provides world class Ayurvedic herbal formulations at reasonable price.
Yamuna Pharmacy manufactures effective Ayurvedic products for the successful management of Hyperglycemia or Diabetes as well.
Herbal Remedies offered by Yamuna Pharmacy for the treatment of Hyperglycemia are:
- Madhumehnil Capsule: Madhumehnil Capsule is a poly-herbal mineral compound of herbs and minerals that provides effective management of Diabetes.
- These capsules lower the blood sugar, lower the amount of sugar in urine by stimulating the generation and functionality of insulin hormone.
- These capsules consist of Methi beej, Karela beej, Haridra, Amalaki, Shilajeet, Trivang Bhasam etc.
Dose: Take 1-2 capsules three or four times a day.
- Kalmegh Capsule: Kalmegh Capsules of Yamuna Pharmacy contain the standardized extract of the herb Andrographis paniculata. This herb is popularly known as ‘King of Bitters’.
- These capsules are beneficial for diabetic patients as it lowers the blood sugar levels by increasing the secretion of insulin.
- It is a liver protecting herb as well and helps in purification of blood.
Dose: Take 1-2 capsules once or twice a day.
In addition to proprietary Ayurvedic formulations prescribed by Yamuna Pharmacy, some classical Ayurvedic medicines are there to treat the condition. These are:
- Chandraprabha Vati: Chandraprabha Vati is a classical Ayurvedic preparation used for the mitigation of Prameha.
- It is a mixture of 37 herbomineral ingredients which have both glucose and lipid lowering properties.
- Nisamalaki Churna: Nisamalaki Churna is another Classical Ayurvedic preparation mentioned in Ayurveda for the treatment of Diabetes.
- The composition of Nisamalaki Churna is Amla (Emblica officinalis) and Turmeric (Curcuma longa).
- Amla is considered as the best of the rejuvenative fruits because of its tridoshghana activity and haridra is considered as the best spice for the metabolic disorders like diabetes.
- Vasant Kusumakar Ras: Vasant Kusumakar Ras is a classical mineral based preparation which is a trusted Ayurvedic remedy for glucose intolerance and its complications.
- It is useful in nerve weakness and peripheral neuritis associated with hyperglycemia.
Diet and Lifestyle:
Diet is prescribed according to the body type and age of the patient, seasonal and environmental conditions.
- Green gram
- Horse gram
- Bitter gourd
- Black pepper
- Blue berry
- Juice of sugarcane
- Sour beverages
- Junk and processed food
- Soft drinks
- Non-vegetarian food
- Include exercise and some Yogasanas in your lifestyle.
- Awakening late night is not recommended.
- Don’t suppress natural urges.
Hyperglycemia can be treated successfully with herbal remedies along with changes in diet and lifestyle.