Parkinson’s Disease is a progressive degenerative neurological disorder which mainly affects the motor system of the body which is characterized by resting tremors, gait disturbances, rigidity, slow movements, postural instability etc.
It mostly affects the older adults making them crippled as the disease progresses.
What are the clinical features of Parkinson’s Disease?
- Fine pin rolling tremors
- Rigidity in extremities
- Difficulty in walking
- Unable to balance the body
- Short shuffling gait
Parkinson’s Disease in Ayurveda:
In Ayurveda, Parkinson’s Disease is considered as a Vata Vyadhi. It is corelated with Kampa Vata as it is characterized by Sarvanga Kampa/ Shiro Kampa (tremors all over the body or tremors in head). Vata vyadhi occurs due to pathological increase of chala guna (moving property) of Vata.
Kampa Vata is one among Vataj nanatmaja vyadhis as explained by Master Charak in Sutrasthana. Kampa (trembling) is the prominent feature in kampa vata which is mainly caused by the vitiation of Vata.
When Vata dosha is vitiated at the peak level, it tends to deplete all the tissues in the body and other doshas such as Pitta and Kapha doshas become imbalanced which affects immunity of an individual as well. Thus, control of Vata dosha is the only key in the treatment of Parkinson’s disease.
What is the Ayurvedic treatment of Parkinson’s Disease?
The Ayurvedic treatment of Parkinson’s disease focuses on reversing the pathology of Vata imbalance. Treatment consists of both internal and external administration of Ayurvedic medications.
The treatment involves removal of srotodushti (purification of body channels), Vata shaman (destroying excessive action of Vata dosha) and Rasayan (rejuvenation) therapy. The Ayurvedic treatment also focuses on avoiding Vata Prakopakara Ahara and Vihara (diet and lifestyle that aggravate Vata dosha).
Correction of Agni (digestive fire) is also given prime importance which is also taken care of during Ayurvedic treatment as it is said that: “Sarve Roge Api Mandhagni” (low digestive fire is the root cause of all diseases).
Herbal Remedies offered by Yamuna Pharmacy for the treatment of Parkinson’s Disease are:
- Sery Capsule
- MM Forte Extule
- Sery Capsule: Sery Capsule manufactured by Yamuna Pharmacy is the choice of medication to improve the functioning of brain and nervous system. These act as an adaptogenic for nerve cells and tissues.
- It contains the goodness of herbs such as Brahmi, Tagar, Jatamanasi and Ashwagandha.
- These herbs act as Rasayanas and are essentially nutritional agents and Medhya Rasayanas. These are specific nerve tonics with nootropic effect.
- Thus, Sery capsules by Yamuna Pharmacy act as Rasayana and very effective in the treatment of Parkinson’s disease.
- These capsules are free from chemicals, starch, yeast, artificial colours and preservatives.
Dosage: Take 1-2 capsules twice or thrice a day or as directed by your physician.
- MM Forte Extule: MM Forte Extule Capsules prepared by Yamuna Pharmacy is the best remedy for Parkinson’s disease. It is a poly-herbal mineral compound of herbs and minerals that brings normal impetus in physiological activity of neuro-muscular cells of the brain. The ingredients of MM Forte Extule Capsules are: Makardhwaj, Shudh Hingul, Lavanga, Jaiphal, Javitri, Kulinjan, Khurasaniajwain, Harmal, Majuphal, Samudra sokh, Dalchini, Aqarqara and Kaunch beej.
- Kaunch beej used in this preparation is a natural source of I-dopa which replenishes the depleted striatal dopamine.
- These capsules in combination have rejuvenating, anti-oxidant, catalytic, immune modulating and strength promoting action along with Vatahara Rasayana So, these capsules are excellent for the treatment of Parkinson’s Disease.
Diet and Lifestyle:
- In addition to the above medications, sarvanga abhyanga (whole body massage) with Maha Narayan Oil should be done as it helps in strengthening of the muscles, bones and joints and provide proper nourishment of Shushk Dhatus (dry tissues). It will also hamper the viguna gati (opposite movement) of Vata dosha in the body.
- Nasya (administration of medicated oil or ghee) in the nostrils is also beneficial.
- Use of anti-oxidants in the diet is very useful in the treatment of Parkinson’s disease. The best example is Amalki or Amla fruit.
- Include turmeric in the diet.
- Calcium and Vitamin D supplements help for bone growth as there is an elevated risk of developing fragile bones and fractures in Parkinson’s disease patients.
- Include Meditation as it may reduce the stress and pain and gives the feeling of well-being.
- Certain yogic exercises such as Tadasan, Uttanasana, Veerbhadraasana are quite beneficial.
Thus, it can be concluded that proper Ayurvedic treatment along with the appropriate diet and lifestyle play an excellent role in improving the day-to-day activities of the patient suffering with Parkinson’s Disease if adopted properly and regularly.
Dosage: Take 1-2 capsules twice a day with milk or as directed by the physician.