Premature Ejaculation in males is one of the most common sexual dysfunctions affecting on an average 40% of the men worldwide. The World Health Organization (WHO) defined it as, “persistent or recurrent ejaculation with minimal stimulation before the person wishes it, over which the sufferer has little or no voluntary control, which causes the sufferer as well as his partner bother or distress.”
What are the causes of Premature Ejaculation?
- Engaging in sexual activities at a very young age
- Having foods that have hot constitution
- Drinking and smoking
Premature Ejaculation according to Ayurveda:
In Ayurveda, there is a concept of Shukragata Vata, which can be correlated with the disorder Premature Ejaculation as the clinical manifestations of Shukragata Vata are similar to Premature Ejaculation such as early ejaculation, affliction of foetus or premature birth.
The dosha involved is Vata dosha. The vitiated Vata dosha has the effect on various male reproductive organs. It is caused when the vitiated Vata loses its chalatva or drutatva property. The vitiated Vata causes diminution of Shukra Dhatu (sperm tissue) and therefore, quantitatively less amount of shukra (sperm) is ejaculated after a long effort.
All seminal parameters are impaired due to affliction of the characteristics of Shukra due to the vitiated Vata. There are seminal abnormalities lacking in the qualities of count such as azoospermia or oligospermia, motility as well as morphology is also affected. The physical properties of semen like volume, appearance, viscosity, transparency etc. may also be impaired due to vitiation of Vata dosha.
Aggravated Pitta dosha is also responsible for the problem of premature ejaculation. Ayurveda compares shukra dhatu with purified butter. Just as purified butter melts in the presence of heat, in the same way semen loses its consistency when there is aggravation of Pitta dosha in the body. The aggravated Pitta dosha travels into the channels carrying semen which causes semen to decrease in its consistency, thus it gets ejaculated before sufficient erection. Therefore, aggravated pitta dosha causes thinning of the semen.
Treatment of Premature Ejaculation in Ayurveda:
In Ayurveda, Vajikarna (aphrodisia therapy) is one of the eight branches that deals with the treatment as well as amplification of sexual potency of a healthy man as well as conception of healthy progeny. It also deals with the successful treatment of defective semen, disturbed sexual potency, spermatogenesis etc.
The treatment of premature ejaculation in Ayurveda includes the prescription of herbs and herbal remedies that are Vrishya, Balya, Medhya and Shukra Stambhaka in nature. The herbs having Vrishya (aphrodisiac) and Balya (strengthening) properties enhance the quality of Shukra Dhatu by reducing Dourbalya (weakness) and Riktata (emptiness) in the Shukrvaha Srotas (reproductive tissue). These herbs work by pacifying the aggravated Gata Vata.
The herbs having Medhya property improve psychological functioning of the patient.
The Shukra Stambhak property of the herbs helps in decreasing Saratva of the Shukra Dhatu and enhance Sthiratva which help in the retention of semen for a long period of time. These herbs also improve the strength of the individual which help in normal sexual functioning.
In addition to Ayurvedic treatment, psychological counselling of the patient is very important as the psychological component of this disorder is very strong.
Some herbs useful in the treatment of Premature Ejaculation are:
- Safed Musli (Chlorophytum borivilianum): The roots of Safed Musli is used in Ayurveda for the treatment of lack of libido, premature ejaculation, improving the body stamina etc.
- It is considered as aphrodisiac which improves vigour and causes cell and tissue rejuvenation.
- It is sweet and bitter in taste, heavy to digest, undergoes sweet taste conversion after digestion and cold in potency. Therefore, it balances Vata and Pitta doshas and increases Kapha dosha.
- Kali Musli (Curculigo orchioides): The roots of Kali Musli plant are used for the male reproductive system disorders such as premature ejaculation, low sperm count, sperm deformity etc.
- The roots are sweet and bitter in taste, slimy in nature, undergoes sweet taste conversion after digestion, hot in potency and balance Vata and Pitta doshas and increase Kapha dosha.
- Gokshura (Tribulus terrestris): Gokshura herb is mainly used for improving health of men as it has powerful spermatogenic properties that are extremely beneficial for treating premature ejaculation.
- Being a natural anti-oxidant, it improves the production of testosterone hormone.
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera): The roots of Ashwagandha offers many health benefits.
- It offers benefits for reproductive and sexual health as well.
- The roots of this herb are regarded as testosterone booster.
- It has adaptogenic effect as well.
- Ashwagandha is quite effective in premature ejaculation as it acts as Medhya Rasayana as well.
- As premature ejaculation is linked with stress and anxiety as well. This makes Ashwagandha extremely effective.
- Shilajit (Asphaltum): Shilajit offers some incredible and therapeutic benefits. Shilajit is not an herb but it is a natural organic ingredient obtained from Himalayan rocks.
- It is most noted for its ability to boost vitality, vigor and strength.
- It works wonders for premature ejaculation and can raise testosterone and fertility levels naturally.
- Jaiphal (Myristica fragrans): Due to the vrishya property of jaiphal, it is beneficial for men as it helps in improving their sexual life by treating premature ejaculation.
- Due to its properties such as bitter and pungent taste, light, piercing, strong and penetrative properties, it balances Vata and Kapha doshas.
- The oil of jaiphal is also very useful in premature ejaculation.
- It is also useful in inducing sleep and calming the mind.
- Kesar (Crocus sativus): Kesar is an Ayurvedic herb which is useful in the treatment of premature ejaculation, impotency etc.
- The powder of kesar is mixed with either milk or sugar candy to improve sexual vigour.
- It is also known to elevate mood and useful in relieving stress, anxiety and depression by secreting serotonin hormone.
- It is a good source of minerals like phosphorus, zinc, selenium, manganese which are essential ingredients of premature ejaculation medications.
Therefore, Ayurvedic treatment along with psychological counselling is most effective in the treatment of Premature Ejaculation. Stress and anxiety are the triggering factors for this disorder. Therefore, while treating the patient of Premature Ejaculation, psychological counselling is a must.