Gall stone formation is the most common disorder of the biliary tract. In modern medicine, the process of formation of gall stone is referred to as Cholelithiasis. Though the formation of gall stones is common in both men and women but its prevalence is most commonly seen in middle aged women. It is formed due to congestion as well as obstruction in the flow of bile. There are many factors such as food habits, body weight, genetic predisposition that play a role in the formation of gall stones. Their formation generally causes inflammation of the wall of the gall bladder which is known as cholecystitis.
Gall Stones in Ayurveda:
Ayurveda refers gallstones as Pittashmari. According to Ayurveda, gall bladder stores Pitta (bile) and hence this organ is known as Pittashaya in Ayurveda.
Causes of Gall Stones according to Ayurveda:
According to Ayurveda, the vitiation of all the three doshas Vata, Pitta and Kapha are responsible for their formation. Excessive intake of spicy, hot and sour food items aggravates Pitta dosha in the body. When kapha dosha is vitiated, it mixes with Pitta dosha and produces picchila (sticky like) substance. Due to ruksha (dry) quality of Vata dosha, the sticky substance becomes stone like.
The Ayurvedic texts like Charak Samhita, Ashtang Hridya and Sushrut Samhita not only elucidate the pathology of gall stones but also offer the use of innumerable herbs and herbal remedies to resolve cholelithiasis.
What is the treatment of Gall Stones?
As a matter of fact, surgery to remove gall bladder is the most common form of treatment but removal of an entire organ has led to a growing interest in non-surgical treatment for gall stones.
In modern medicine, gall stones are dissolved by certain medications as well but there are high chances of recurrence of gall stones if the medications are stopped.
What is the Ayurvedic treatment of Gall Stones?
The Ayurvedic treatment of Gall Stones eliminates the need for surgery as the treatment assists the body in expelling the stones naturally.
The Ayurvedic herbal formulations manufactured by Yamuna Pharmacy have lekhan (scraping), chedhan (excision), bhedan (excision), mootrala (diuretic), bastishodhan (cleanses the bladder), deepana (stimulating digestive fire), pachana (digestive), vednaasthana (pain reducing), tridoshshamaka (balances all the three doshas) properties which ultimately help in reducing the size of stones and inhibit further stone formation as well.
These vitiated doshas are lodged in pittashaya (gall bladder), thereby causes many different shapes and sizes of gall stones.
There are two types of potent herbs referred as cholagogues and choleretics. cholagogues are plantbased substances that possess the potential to activate the gall bladder whereas choleretics are among the herbs that stimulates the liver to secrete bile and avert the accumulation of cholesterol.
Yamuna Pharmacy is one of the leading Ayurvedic pharmaceuticals serving a large number of population by manufacturing pure Ayurvedic herbs and herbal formulations in the form of tablets, powders, syrups etc. at reasonable prices.
For Gall Stones, Yamuna Pharmacy has manufactured various herbal formulations. These are:
- Zapp Syrup
- Zapp Tablet
- Zapp Syrup: Yamuna Pharmacy’s Zapp Syrup is the best remedy for naturally dissolving the gall stones without any side effects. This syrup acts as a stone dissolver as well as crusher, prevents accumulation, deposition and supersaturation of stone forming chemicals like oxalic acid and calcium hydroxyproline and soothes the irritated bladder.
- Zapp syrup comprises natural herbs, herbal alkalis and salts such as Pashanbhed, Punarnava, Mustak, Kulattha, Ushir, Apamarg, Gokhru, Varun, Makoya, Karchoora, Yavkshar, Shwet Parpati, Suvarchika, Saindhava etc.
Dose: 1 teaspoonful thrice a day.
- Zapp Tablet: Zapp Tablet prepared by Yamuna Pharmacy contains herbs that work synergistically to crush the stone and provide relief in the pain associated with the formation of gall stones.
- This tablet works by eliminating the toxins within the system and balances the vitiated doshas as well.
- Regular use of Zapp tablet also prevents the recurrence of gall stones.
- Zapp Tablet comprises natural concentrated extracts and herbal alkalies such as Pashanbheda, Punarnava, Apamarg, Gokhru, Varun, Makoy, Yavkshar, Shilajit etc.
Dose: Take 2 tablets twice or thrice a day with water.
In addition to proprietary medicines manufactured by Yamuna Pharmacy, there are some classical Ayurvedic formulations as well. These are:
- Arogyavardhini Vati
- Kapard Bhasam
- Punarnava Mandoor
Diet and Lifestyle:
- Intake of spices such as black pepper, turmeric is recommended.
- Fresh aloe vera juice is also effective.
- Intake of spicy, hot and fried food must be avoided.
- Regular exercises, yoga and pranayama are recommended.
Hence, it can be concluded that Ayurveda has the potential to treat gall stones effectively and the patients must be encouraged to get benefitted from Ayurvedic system of medicine and lead a happy and healthy life.